Palia Kavala has always been known for its many waters. A blessed place, rich in springs with gurgling and cool waters.
About five kilometers south of the village, is the area of ''Soubasi'' or ''Mother of Water'', a location that has plenty of them. When Ibrahim Pasha took over the water supply of Kavala (1523-1536), this area of Palia Kavala seemed ideal, as it had all the conditions. It was, after all, a tried and tested solution from Byzantine times, it was only a few kilometers from Kavala, it was rich in springs and, most importantly, it had a higher altitude than the city.
Initially, an underground reservoir was constructed, where the water from the surrounding springs was collected, then through stone-built ditches and elaborate bridges, the water reached the aqueduct of Kavala, the well-known Kamares, to supply the city with water.
It is a route of about 10 kilometers, starting from Old Kavala and ending in the Agios Konstantinos area of Kavala, and is also known as the "water road". The visitor can combine it with the Old Kavala path, as the two routes are connected. Specifically, at the point where the environmental path of Old Kavala ends - below the village -, there is a dirt road of about 100m leading to an old bridge. After the bridge there is an uphill path that leads to a cistern, at the location 'Karydies', just opposite the village. Above the cistern there is a path with an uphill climb and a direction to the south. The walker will follow it, with the climbing rock on the left and the plain of Philippi on the right. After about 3 km he will reach the neck, where he will see the bay of Kavala and the island of Thasos. There it will meet a dirt road and head right, after about 2 km, it will turn left on a downhill road to reach the area "Three Karagatsia" or "Mother of Water". We are at 5 km, about halfway along the route. There you will come across an abandoned farm and a cistern with plenty of water. After cooling off there, you will cross a path betrayed by the slabs from the underground water pipeline. It will follow a route of about 2km through a densely vegetated ravine and along a gully to reach the large bridge. Then, after a 1.5 km walk, it will reach the last bridge before Kavala. Another 2 km of hiking remain until Agios Konstantinos. In the second half of the route, the walker will pass through well-crafted grooves, covered with carved stones, will pass over five bridges of skillful architecture and will have the opportunity to get to know a wonderful project for its time, thanks to which Kavala was supplied with water for many years. Apart from the historical and cultural value of the route, the alternation between the mountainous nature and images of the plain of Philippi, Mount Paggaio, the Thasiakos Pass and the Gulf of Kavala is particularly impressive. The route can of course also be done in reverse from Agios Konstantinos Kavala, at the end of 13th September Street, in the direction of Old Kavala.